Unsolicited Writings

Saturday, September 16, 2006

 
He didnot think to go away from the farm.
He sat up in bed and strained his ears tohear what they said.
Five past ten, said Banford, looking at her wrist. I wouldnt let that put you
against me, he said.
When the hot-water bottle was ready,she lit a candle and went upstairs with it.
And I mean I dont believe in making fun of itmyself. The things people said about
him always missed himpersonally. He hoped he might evenput his hand on her bosom and
feel her soft breasts under hertunic. Theres my heart, he said, if you dont believe
in it.
Id make you eat them for your tea if you hug them so tight. The boy looked at her,
andshe could not bear his face.
He came in at nightfall with a rabbit and a pigeon.
There was a sound of a window opening upstairs, then Marchs voicecalling:Who is it?
And hewas convulsed with a youths fury at being thwarted.
His face seemed extraordinarily like a piece ofthe out-of-doors come indoors: as
holly-berries do.
He went softlydownstairs and out to the kitchen.
A land girls uniform, of course, said he. Dont you worryyourself, nobodys going to
treat me cheaply. Yes, I suppose I have, she said nonchalantly.
She passed her hand down this also, and quivered.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

Archives

August 2006   September 2006   October 2006   November 2006   February 2007  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?