Unsolicited Writings

Saturday, September 23, 2006

 
The children along the wall stared in fright.
Vernons compliments andhe proposes to join you at nine oclock. James dropped his
arms to his side and gazed afterit for a moment or two of dejected relaxation.
That aloofness which I had remarked at Lady Amysforts ball hadbecome a heavy
preoccupation. Cabell put his hand over the empty red socket of his left eyefrom
which the patch had fallen. He saw me start my meal before he left me.
Then hedisappeared for a minute or two and returned with a shabby littleclasped
leather book. I think we have met before, Sir Edward, it said.
He saw me start my meal before he left me.
You could get a stiff term forinciting a man to escape and harbouring him.
He had relaxed into the pillow asthough he was done, but Julias laughter had roused
him. Naturally Ive hoped that Father would be well enough .
Milburne is a member of the University of Oxford, said theancient man.
I think we have met before, Sir Edward, it said.
Youre all going to listen to me now if itsthe last time you do. Then, while I thawed
my frozenbones before the logs, he departed to seek his master. He toldme after Id
got the buckle on, and I kicked him out. Lets get theboot off and see if we need a
doctor.
The children along the wall stared in fright.
James looked at her, took four strides to the door, turned andlooked at her again.
Naturally Ive hoped that Father would be well enough . I was cold and hungry and
rather tired, and my ankle gave me a gooddeal of pain. Nothing very bad here, he
said; but it must have been jollypainful to walk with. Vernons compliments andhe
proposes to join you at nine oclock.
I dont see how it couldhave been otherwise. Ill lend you a dressing-gownand dry
clothes.
But the old man, groping for Harriets hand, seemed to haveforgotten them.
I didnt see whatwas wrong with her at first, but it was as plain as a pikestaffafter.
Our short talk was the merest platitudes, but my feelingabout his odd distinction
was intensified. He knew she was an old lag and he didnt let on.
Very cautiously the doctor said that it was the end, but nobodybelieved him.
Lady Augusta had diedwhen the boy was an infant, and her husband had followed within
theyear.
It is asfreakish a gift as that which makes some men remember scraps ofdoggerel.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

Archives

August 2006   September 2006   October 2006   November 2006   February 2007  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?