Unsolicited Writings

Saturday, September 23, 2006

 
But, dry stick as I am, I hanker after my ownnotion of romance.
Breakfastwill be laid in the sitting-room, and Mr. If you will come in, sir, I will
acquaint himwith the position.
But the prospect was black formy immediate comfort. Then Vernon disappeared, and
when he returnedhe was dressed for dinner. Ludmilla used to make him wear a stiff
collar over thereand grease his hair.
In yourcondition youd best be trying to sleep. Thats the most extraordinarything I
ever heard.
Anotherdoor faced him, and he knew that he had only to turn the handle forit to open.
Very cautiously the doctor said that it was the end, but nobodybelieved him.
I fell into his holiday mood, and forgot to tell himthat I had long ago met his
parents. He threatened totell the police about Gursey.
He was now a cheerful communicative undergraduate.
She took thehint, murmured something about dinner, and went out.
James opened his mouth to answer and swallowed some smoke andchoked. Thats the most
extraordinarything I ever heard. A lawyer is apt to lack imagination, you know. In a
tone of profound conviction James said at once, I dontbelieve a word of it.
There was a fire-place where we used tohang the billy in the early days.
That aloofness which I had remarked at Lady Amysforts ball hadbecome a heavy
preoccupation. But, dry stick as I am, I hanker after my ownnotion of romance. You
see this MGovern, this flogger and sixpennybludger, he was nearly your father. James
looked at her, pained, questioning. Could that bethe reason of his diffidence on the
previous evening?
And now, I reckon,it might be time to be frank with you. He saw me start my meal
before he left me.
That aloofness which I had remarked at Lady Amysforts ball hadbecome a heavy
preoccupation.
She was tryingto suppress her laughter, but it broke out, girlish and pleasant tohear.
Youve outgrown that childish ailment anyhow, I said. James looked at her, pained,
questioning.
The old mans voice soared laughing and cracked high up in abirdlike squeak of delight.
You could get a stiff term forinciting a man to escape and harbouring him.
Youve outgrown that childish ailment anyhow, I said.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

Archives

August 2006   September 2006   October 2006   November 2006   February 2007  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?