Unsolicited Writings

Friday, August 18, 2006

 
Lord Byrons funereal expressionwas an insult to her happiness.
Better a play ruined than a soul ruined, retorted Aunt Ruth. Out,over the ice-bound
harbour, great clouds piled themselves up indazzling, iridescent masses.
It has the true ring, murmured Emily, tasting the incrediblewords anew.
For my own part I am secretly glad that she wont.
Shes always HINTING insults to my father and mother.
Emily decidedshe would write that sentence down in her Jimmy-book when she wentback.
Beyond were gleaming white hills withearly stars over them.
If Aunt Elizabeth wouldnot let her go anywhere else to board she would give up
schoolaltogether.
I said,Why didnt you sew them on yourself, Perry? You could not safely drive a Starr
todesperation. I wish I could get ittypewritten, but that is impossible, so I shall
have to write itvery plainly.
Its my soul thats on fire, said Emily with aninscrutable smile.
How could one get lost on little Shrewsbury harbour, Aunt Ruth? She had knownAunt
Elizabeth would condemn her and even Aunt Laura would lookdisappointed question.
Emily decidedshe would write that sentence down in her Jimmy-book when she wentback.
Emily dropped the letter and seized upon the magazine withtrembling fingers. Little
or big, you are not going to take part in it. Aunt Ruth was up and was lighting the
kitchen fire.
I know if I go back shell say Illforgive you this time, but dont let it happen
again. When the doughnuts were finished Emily donned her old boots andulster.
Aunt Ruthdoesnt often miss anything in the Times.
I didnt make anyanswer to Aunt Ruth, so she started on another tack.
On and on she flitted to the crest of the hill. Well, Ill go back and bite the sour
apple without a grimace. Ithink I will write a poem on A Vision of Spring. I
mightforgive her the cutting things but never the laugh.
Oh, my dear Emly, I dont think you are quite as indispensable asall THAT.
She always lived on the edgeof fairyland and now she stepped right over it.
Thought Emily, Condescending, insufferable creature! When Emily spoke gravely Aunt
Ruth always thought she was impudent. Consequently this is blue Monday and Im
homesick.
But she had counted on Cousin Jimmy takingher part.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

Archives

August 2006   September 2006   October 2006   November 2006   February 2007  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?